Empires of the Undergrowth is a simulation strategy game developed and published by Slug Disco Studios. “Your queen has set up home beneath a rotting log. She is fat, and vulnerable. Her first brood will need to move quickly if the colony is to survive. Their priority now is to find food, and there is plenty around; but there are other hungry creatures in the undergrowth. The workers will need to be vigilant.”
Experience a whole new level of management sims with this ant colony management game, presented in a fast-paced real-time strategy style. The player will excavate their nest underground, constructing complex tunnels and chambers to store food and raise the brood. On the surface however, the ants claim their territory, gather resources, overwhelm fearsome (and big) arachnids and will clash with the other colonies. Designing an efficient nest, managing army size, composition and timing good attacks are the key to securing victory.
The game is also unique in that the missions are narrated from the perspective of a documentary film-maker studying the ants, offering intelligent insight into the details and going-ons of the colony and the extensive undergrowth. The primary game mode available currently in early access is Formicarium, where you can take ownership of a home colony of unique DNA-harvesting ants as they attempt to assimilate the more desirable traits of their foes. These can be upgraded eventually over time by playing some one-off missions, sometimes with your home colony and also sometimes with the other ant species.
- Construct your extensive underground nest and carve various tunnels to suit your strategy.
- Engage in a vicious fast-paced colony versus colony war above ground.
- Play as several ant species and make use of their unique traits and weaknesses.
- Encounter and overpower other dangerous vermin such as beetles, arachnids and other arthropods.
- Eventually grow your own pet formicarium over time by completing missions.